A pianist who originally hails from Italy, Crosara is well-versed in bop lore, and his delicate flow might indicate a debt to Bill Evans.”
Down Beat Magazine
Francesco Crosara is a Seattle area based Italian jazz pianist, composer and educator, typically performing in trio, quartet, or solo formats. Originally from Milan, Italy, Crosara’s music melds an impressive mix of jazz improvisation, a romantic vein from his classical training, along with Latin influences. His major piano influences are Chick Corea, Bill Evans, Keith Jarrett, and Herbie Hancock.
Crosara stands among the European-bred jazz greats, performing over the years with the likes of Lionel Hampton, Freddie Hubbard, Roy Hargrove, Richie Cole, Von Freeman, Bobby Shew, Ira Sullivan, Bruce Forman, Barbara Morrison, Don Menza, Lilian Terry, and more. His recordings have featured a multicultural and international array of musicians.
Since relocating to Seattle in 2017, Crosara has contributed to the Northwest scene in a variety of styles and formats, ranging from acoustic straight-ahead jazz to electric jazz fusion with world music influences. Recent highlights include:
– Crosara’s April 2022 piano duet collaboration with fellow pianist Bill Anschell was featured on Jim Wilke’s Jazz Northwest show on KNKX 88.5FM (an NPR affiliate).
– Crosara’s acoustic trio was selected to perform at Seattle’s 2021 Earshot Jazz Festival.
– Crosara’s work was featured in 2019 and 2020 in the trend-setting Earshot Jazz: The Second Century series for his bold and innovative music composition and video work.
– In the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic, Crosara participated in international virtual events, such as the 2021 Livestream from the Royal Room (USA) the 2020 Kansai Music Conference (Japan) and the 2020 Morelia Jazztival (Mexico).
– Crosara also serves as the Education chair on the Board of Directors of the Music Discovery Center (MDC), a non-profit organization based in Bremerton, WA, dedicated to creating an inclusive space for community members to experience, explore, and contribute to the world of music through education, performance, and mentorship.
ON THE AIR
Special two-part series on KNKX 88.5 FM broadcasted on Sunday, April 24th and May 1st 2022. Listen to Jim Wilke’s Jazz Northwest program, featuring eight tracks from the Jazz Piano Duets Concert with Francesco Crosara and Bill Anschell at Stage 7 Pianos in Kirkland, WA(Podcast replay available on KNKX)
Includes CDs, MP3s, collaborations, and compilations. Click on each CD image to view the details.
View Francesco’s music photos through the years. from performances across the world, to family photos with jazz greats, to poster artwork and more
Francesco with Chick Corea
QUOTES & REVIEWS
“Francesco, your music is wonderful – always has been. Play what you love and saturate the world with it.”Chick Corea
“Crosara’s compositions are considerate of their audience, providing a source of joy, comfort, escape, and healing. Crosara believes jazz is a collective experience and a “living language” that distills a multitude of identities, backgrounds, and personalities.”Earshot Jazz
“A pianist who originally hails from Italy, Crosara is well-versed in bop lore, and his delicate flow might indicate a debt to Bill Evans.”Down Beat Magazine
“the kind of sensitive swing seldom heard since Bill Evans. Crosara’s rubato meanderings are precious insights into his fertile imagination and harmonic daring.”Jazz Times Magazine
“The piano echoes notes like twinkling stars, beauty surrounded by silence. […] You’ll dance through your tears and love the loneliness, I did.”Jazz Improv Magazine
“Francesco Crosara proves he is a pianist with expert chops and broad interests. […] Crosara has an awareness of world music but a firm grounding in the modern jazz vernacular. His major piano influences are unsurprising: Herbie Hancock and Chick Corea. Like them, he has an interest in electric as well as acoustic jazz.”All About Jazz
“Francesco Crosara has been a world traveler in both his life and his music. He is a strikingly original pianist who displays his own inventive style while reviving standards and debuting new suites.”Scott Yanow